Annual leave requests - our story
Annual leave requests - our story
One of the functions that we dreamed about while we were working on the 2.0 version of kardeska.app during 2020. is that employees can log in to their part of the application, review their data and submit a request for annual leave.
What would be the employer's benefits?
We started by defining the problem:
- in order for the employee to be able to plan his annual leave, he must check with the employer - personnel department the number of days of annual leave as well as the period when he can use annual leave
- if the employer has 100 employees and each employee spends 15 minutes per year on checking the number of annual vacation days and spends 15 minutes for an employee in the personnel department, that is for 100 employees 3000 minutes / 50 working hours / approx. 6 working days
- let's take into account that for each employee it takes 5 minutes to submit a written request and another 10 minutes to approve the request, that's for 100 employees 1500 minutes / 25 working hours / approx. 3 working days
- if an employee in the personnel department spends 30 minutes on the preparation, delivery and archiving of annual leave decisions for each employee in a year, that is 3000 minutes / 50 working hours / approx. 6 working days for 100 employees
- let's also take into account that 30% employees also use other types of leave (paid, sick leave, etc.) on which the employee in the personnel department spends another 30 minutes per employee, that is for 30 employees 900 minutes / 15 working hours / approx. 2 working days
The conclusion is that the administration of leave for one year in a company with 100 employees, assuming that everything goes according to plan, takes about 17 working days or almost an entire working month.
We thought that our function should facilitate, speed up and automate this entire process, but also save time:
- checking the number of days of annual leave, the employee can work from his home using the peko application, so that he does not waste his working time or the working time of the HR department. Savings for 100 employees 3000 minutes / 50 working hours / approx. 6 working days
- submitting the request, the employee works from home, so he does not waste his working time. Savings for 100 employees 500 minutes / 8 working hours / 1 working day
- creation of a solution for annual leave, delivery via portal or email as well as electronic archiving in the application shortens the entire procedure from 30 minutes per employee to 10 minutes per employee. Savings for 100 employees 2000 minutes / 33.33 working hours / approx. 4 working days
- the administration of other types of leave is also reduced from 30 minutes to 15 minutes per employee. Savings for 30 employees is 450 min / 7.5 working hours / approx. 1 working day
- Final savings: 12 working days or 70% time.
What would be the employee's benefits?
We are of the opinion that transparency in exercising this right is the greatest benefit of the employee. Namely, with this function, the employee now knows exactly how many days of old and how many new vacation days are available, when the old and new vacation days are useful, and can very easily submit a request to use leave - directly from their living room.
What conditions must the employer fulfill in order to be able to use this function?
The employer must have the desire to use this function - this is the most important condition.
As far as work organization is concerned, we distinguish the following functions:
- Verifier - the person who approves the requests of employees. The verifier is attached to an organizational part, workplace or location. The verifier has limited access to the data because he sees data only for employees from certain organizational parts and does not see any other data except data on absences. Also, the approval can be in several levels.
- Example 1: The head of production, Marko, approves leave for the organizational part of bread production and the organizational part of cake production, or approves it for all employees at the position Baker
- Example 2: Regional director Marko approves leave for all employees in retail stores located in Kruševac, Kraljevo and Paraćin
- Document maker - the person who prepares the documentation after the requests have been approved. This person can also act as a verifier at those employers where the function of approving and creating documents is performed by the same person.
- Example 1: Employee Ivan submits a request for annual leave. His boss Petar approves the request. After that, the Head of Production, Marko, approves the request and the request goes to Ljilja, a lawyer, who prepares the Decision and delivers it to Ivan via email and/or application.
- Example 2: Employee Ivan submits a request for annual leave. Ljilja, a lawyer, consults with the director about the leave and if the director approves, she approves the leave, drafts a Decision and delivers it to Ivan via email and/or application.
This means that smaller companies, ie employers with a smaller number of employees, must have one person who will approve requests and prepare documentation, while larger companies can "play" the roles of verifiers on different grounds.
At the beginning of 2021, we completed the project task and the developer team started work, and the function was operationally launched at the beginning of spring 2021.
Here's what it looks like... (you can see the complete feature description on our YouTube channel)